Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Doggie School


This spring I'm continually delayed in achieving the little milestones I laid out for myself. I've been wanting to take regular walks with Brighton. Walking with her now is like following a dog that's chasing rabbits.
The community college catalog came about a month ago and I finally opened it up yesterday. The one course of interest beginning yesterday evening was the dog training course. Ten sessions for $75, plus $10 for parking. So I went.
The instructor came in, a
very formidable woman, laid a bunch of scary looking metal implements on the table. About that time I questioned my philosophical compatibility. Turns out that the scary dog restraints she'd brought are examples of things we do not need. We had not brought our dogs, introduced ourselves and explained our issues. Of the forty people there there are seven dogs that are small like Brighton, or smaller, the rest are big. Shepherds, dobies, labs, even a mastiff.
I went to the pet store with Brighton this morning and bought her the required choke collar and a leather leash, sewn, not riveted.
I've been walking her in front of the house in the Cesar Milan way with fair success.
Maybe when I get back to the class next week all my Brighton problems will have been solved.
Not likely!

No comments: