Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Home Depot Sucks

I never thought I would say this, but I was almost cheated by an employee from The Home Depot.
As I'd written before, I was ready to select carpet to replace the worn one in the spare room.
I had found what I liked at The Home Depot and made arrangements for installation. I had the measurements, but no, a professional had to come from Sacramento, two days later. (Turns out my numbers were exactly the same as his, imagine!)
Another two days later I went to the store to make the purchase and was told a specific person alone sets up the installation schedule and she was not there. Over the next few days I called and left messages for her, to which she did not respond. Once a helpful person offered to pull my file and see how far this rug business had progressed and, importantly, exactly how much this would cost. I already had a close idea.
The total cost had risen by $97, about 25%! Say what? What did I buy? Carpet, padding, installation, and tack strips. Tack strips? I have tack strips, don't need tack strips. How many could I use anyhow?
And wait, who's in charge of my purse anyway? Oh, it's me!
I had the strips taken off, purchased the rug, with a three day cancellation option. Still no contact with Laura.
This whole mess was bugging me so I decided to get a refund, stopping at Carpets Galore on my way to Yuba City. I shared my story there, and my paper work. I found a rug there I liked, better quality as well. Those folks took a little more money off to make sure it would all cost less.
After leaving HD with my cash, having given the reason for canceling to the clerk, I got about a mile away when the phone rang. Of course it was Laura, the so, so, so sorry Laura. I pretty much blew her off, too little, too late.
I emailed the store management asked them to look into this and give me a call. Nope, they have not called me either.
This will cost them, as I will learn where things are across the street at Lowe's.
This morning the installer form Carpets Galore was here. The job took an hour, he used a short section of tack strip (part of the installation, no extra cost) brought his own vacuum cleaner, took the old rug and left. And he was nice to my dog! I will work with them for ever.

1 comment:

Home Depot Tinzley said...

This is Tinzley from Home Depot Customer Care. I apologize for your experience with us on what should have been a nice update to the carpet in your home. I would like to get more details from you so we can take note of your story, share it internally and follow up with the store you visited and their regional management. Feel free to send me an email directly at Tinzley_care@homedepot.com.