Sunday, December 2, 2007

Moonflowers



I like Moon flowers and plant them every couple of years. They grow on long vines and bloom in late summer. They are bat pollinated, so they bloom at night. Large blossoms of white, and very sweet. I love hearing the bats zoom, and click, around the house. (Ray made me a bat house, but no one lives there yet.) By midmorning the blooms have shriveled, and drop in a couple of days.
This year I planted them near our front door. It's getting a bit cold at night for a great daily display of blossoms, but the vines have become huge. So much so that they block much of my daily dose of living room light.
I was ready to yank them out when I noticed, while sitting at this computer, that the finches have made it a routine stopping and chatting spot.
Until the vines look very sad they have been granted clemency and shall live on.


No comments: