Sunday, October 12, 2008

Sleep! What Sleep?


As you've read the electric puzzle is solved. Having gotten up early to wait for the contractor I was ready for a good night's sleep when evening came around.
I was sound asleep when 'Shel came into my bedroom shouting: "Get up...house on fire!" I took my glasses, shoes, a cover and got up thinking that the electricity was after all still fouled up. Damn!
'Shel was on the phone giving directions to the dispatcher for the fire department. As I exited the house I didn't see any fire evidence.
The fire was across the street and flames were shooting twenty-five feet or higher. On closer inspection it became evident that the storage shed behind the blue house was engulfed. The fire department arrived and in due time the flames were put out. I went back to bed leaving the pros to do the cleanup.
I got back to sleep around two only to get up at six to feed the dogs. Back to sleep to be awakened, again, by a knock on the door around seven. A fire damage cleaner upper man stood there. He'd heard we'd had a fire, he was offering his services. Grrrr!
I started on the day. Got in line for the flu shot at the health department parking lot. Picked up some groceries. I left before noon to spend the day with a friend in the foothills, stayed for dinner.
Another looong day was done. (Not what I planned for my retirement at all.)
So off to bed I go around ten. You guessed it, to be awakened by the doorbell and knocks after eleven. Sheriff's deputies looking for information regarding the fire. (Let me guess, arson is suspected?) They went to every home on this block, waking a goodly number of residents. Even advising us to keep a look-out for empty homes. Isn't that exactly what we have been doing for the last few years?
Shall I hope for sound sleep tonight?

No comments: