Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Master Waffler, That's Me!

The past few months without Azi have been really hard. I miss having him. I miss having my own dog.
I checked the county shelter for a pup, but none seemed right for me. Then. Besides, I have a hard time being there and not crying. I went to the adoption day at PetCo, but didn't find my dog there either, yet.
I still want a small dog, but one sturdy enough to run with kids and not as fragile as the mini-dachsies are.
I thought that a Corgi would be a good match for me. Smallish, sturdy, outdoorsy, pleasers and an even temperament. Don't forget short haired fur. Would I drive to Southern California or New Mexico to get a rescue dog? I don't think so!
I broadened my options and included Beagles for similar reasons. They tend to bark more and are not quite so willing to obey. They are hunters after all.
I found a Beagle mixed with a forty pound dad on Petfinders website. This pup is with a foster home in the Davis area, a good hour away by car. Very doable distance. But, there's a huge but! I was asked to fill out a five page adoption request which will be reviewed and the SPCA will dicide if I am suitable. I will be interviewed by an adoption councellor to see if I can provide a suitable home.
Frankly, I found many of the question very invasive. All adults in an adoptive home are to be there for the adoption interview and be evaluated. I am asked to provided my driver's license, every adult's name (that lives here), their age. My vet's name. Do I own this place, why do I want a dog. Have I had dogs before. Have I ever had to have a pet euthanized. Why. Who will care for the dog, train it, feed it. Where will it sleep. On and on and on. No, they did not want to see a bank statement!
Though I was excited about one of the Beagle puppies, I will rethink this plan. This was not meant to be.
I will continue to look locally. I will let the rescue groups in the area know what I'm waiting for and then I will wait. My new buddy is out there and we will meet. When it's meant to be.

No comments: