Monday, September 3, 2007

Old Age is Hell

I have a neighbor who is ninety-three years old. She lives with a dog and cat. She generally minds her own business, and is very quiet. So I wondered what she was doing sitting outside of her tall wooden fence, in a lawn chair, in the heat. About noon she ambled over, having waited for me to get up. (I'd been up for hours.) Her car won't start and her phone isn't working(?), could I call her insurance company, AAA, and have them come and fix her car. She wants to drive to Oregon.
I use my card for road service. They arrive shortly. Nope the battery is fine. I suggest they take her car to the garage that works on my vehicle, as they are open. Yes, they'll try to get it back today.
It's hotter still and she's back in her lawn chair on the dry grass. She returns over here after a bit. Where is my car, she asks. They said they'd be back with it in thirty minutes.
No, they are not bringing it back. We will get it after they call to let us know when they have repaired it.
Still going to Oregon, you know!
About four o'clock and
ninety dollars later the car is repaired. It seems she has a rodent problem and the beasties have been enjoying bits of her automobile. In addition there was no fuel! Probably evaporated, or a well placed bite from a rat handled that. She insists that someone syphoned it out. The mechanic says he doesn't recommend driving that car to Oregon, but she says she's driven much worse. So she loads up the dog, locks the house, and hopefully she's save with her family by now.
I worry about all the other travellers on the road when she takes these trips. I have never encountered her in traffic so I really don't know how well she drives. In any case I'm not going north. But aren't there many other old drivers who should give it up for the well being of others.
And when will I reach that point?

No comments: