Saturday, October 27, 2007

Pigeons

Nope, I did not take any pictures of the pigeons on the power lines tonight, because everyone has seen them and can follow along.
For years I didn't pay any attention to them, or care one way or the other.
They are everywhere. They are called Rats on Wings, Pests, #@&#*.
We've seen them at Saint Peter's Square, in Rome, at Placa de Cataluna in Barcelona, London, San Francisco, even Sacramento.
I began to work at a school in Marysville in 1995 and a large palm tree was next to our class room. It was home to many pigeons and I began to notice their patterns. They were happy on Tuesdays: Popcorn Day. (Sure kid, spill your bag's contents, it will be cleaned up by tomorrow.) I even brought some feed from home and scattered it to see the reaction.
Then Ray worked at a Pest control company that received a call to remove birds from some one's home.
1. Parent birds fly off
2. Destroy the nest
3. Block off the roof
4. Do away with the hatch-lings
Oops! Big problem. Don't want to do that.
Yes, we took on the birds. We learned where to get food, how to feed them in one day.
We raised them, handled them, and they liked us. (OK, they
really didn't!) Eventually I even kept the cage open, so they could come and go at will.
It was really kind of neat. They sat on my shoulder and let me walk around with them, never any poop on me. I took them to school and showed them to the students who touched and stroked them. (They took off in one class, but a bit of food enticed them back to me.)
They did fly off eventually. One of them came back once for a brief visit, but that's it.
Some communities have strict codes against feeding them. My cousin, who lived to be one hundred years old, fed them on the sly from her apartment balcony. It was her joy, as her cat had been dead for decades. And who was going to send her to prison?
My brother, living in a care facility, can count on some visitors daily, in spite of those metal spikes outside his third floor windows.
In the last few years we've had them camping out in our palm trees. Children of "My" birds maybe?
Sometimes the dogs will bring one down.
Funny though, I know quite a few of them now. If not by name, but
coloring and behavior. The strutting cock, the brown one that took it's time to become assimilated, and flies with the flock now.
But does it really matter if a few people feed them? I think we have very little influence on the well being, or destruction of pigeons.
So, enjoy them if you can.



No comments: