Monday, October 29, 2007

Tomatoes Next Year, or Forever the Optimist

I like to eat fresh, home grown tomatoes. We used to grow them here.
The last time was in 2004, with limited success.
I had put a couple of plants in the ground, surrounded them with wire cages and they began to grow nicely. Then I left on a three week vacation leaving watering instructions with Michelle. Upon my return I had a tour of the yard, my plants had received good care in my absence. But the tomatoes just weren't growing. They were green scraggly twigs.
Wouldn't you know it, Azi was sticking his head through the wire and pulling the green tomatoes off, and if a branch of plant came with it, so what.
The following year I put the plants in pots too tall for him to reach. By then we'd gotten a mid sized puppy. She could reach and did. I hid the pots behind fencing, with marginal success.
I tried again this year, blocking the pots, but now that we also have a dog the size of a small adult I just got a couple of pieces.
But, but some plants came up by themselves and have grown to the outside by the driveway, and the dogs can't reach. They are ripening and I will harvest them.
Next year my tomatoes will be planted outside the fence, in the side yard.

No comments: