Saturday, August 9, 2008

The Sounds of Summer

My windows are open to the mild breeze this evening. I hear crickets chirping. I am not aware that I heard others this year. Seems these are the first. It is one of the classic summer sounds.

Every two months a pest control service comes by, clears the webs away, sprays to kill whatever bugs are too abundant in a given season. The stucco stays clean. The eaves are not loaded with spiders, the ants no longer walk in as they please looking for the tiniest morsel. The products used are sprayed to a ten foot perimeter and won't hurt the pets. It seemed a bit extravagant when I first signed up for a trial time, but I am pleased with this service. I also believe it helps the house stay healthier, not so likely to become a dinner for insects.

Yet, I'm happy that at least ten feet out there are crickets communicating.

No comments: