Sunday, January 11, 2009

Brighton's First Walk


This day started out cold. The ground was frozen when I got up, let Brighton out, retrieved the paper, fed the cat her soft food, fed the big girls. By then I was almost awake. I read the paper, drank a pot of coffee.
Finished a book, "The Saint of Lost Things", which I enjoyed and could relate to. It is about a family of the Italian Neighborhood of Baltimore and the new immigrant bride.
Before I noticed, the day had become warm enough to enjoy the outdoors. I cleaned out my tomato planters, trimmed some roses.
I took Brighton to PetSmart to get her fitted for a harness that's easy to work and she won't chew off. She was so happy to see other little dogs in the store she barked a whole bunch. The store's dog trainer tried to shush her with limited success.
I was looking forward to this walk since she now has all the shots to protect her from doggy deceases.
Once back home it was time to attempt the walk around one block. A measly half mile! There seem to be so many more dogs than there were seven months ago when I used to walk Azi. She's easily distracted, oh ya! I carried her at times to get away from the noise. She pulled ahead of me, which I don't like, being a sign of her thinking that's she's in charge of the pack. For an eighteen pound dog she has a lot of strength. There were a few yards where she seemed to get the idea of walking beside me, but it didn't last long. Overall, let's say the walk was not enjoyable for either of us. When her neck is thoroughly healed I will put her on the leash and hope to have better results. She will learn to walk like a civilized dog should!
Sitting outside in the evening sun I spend some time trying to have her drop the retrieve toy after I pitch it and she brings it to me. That had much better results. I've been using the clicker with a treat to have her come when I call her, so she responded to
that.
All these activities must have been harder for her than I thought. She came inside, ate and found a cushion to curl up on and is sleeping now.

No comments: