Sunday, June 3, 2007

The Big Feed


One week ago today, I was in Germany, invited to a church confirmation for a cousin's granddaughter. We were in the courtyard of a modern church for an outdoor service, (and yes we used umbrellas for a few minutes). After a rocking service, family members were asked to pose for a group photo. There were about sixty people in the group! I knew five of them, that's it. (Clearly, I'd been gone too long.)
Photos taken, we proceeded to the rented hall of a sport club, located directly on the Main River. We were served drinks and chatted. Then a buffet was ready with all sorts of dishes: soups, appetizers, breads and cheeses, and the main dishes. I ate only the things that are unique to Germany, there was so much variety. My cousins regaled my with anecdotes of the family. More wine. People began to move about after a couple of hours, so I asked if it was time to leave. No, no, the patriarch told me, now we take a walk so we can eat more! All righty then.
Several of the teens took kayaks from the club house and paddled on the river amid the river traffic, ferry, party boats, and an assortment of small water crafts.
Yes, after a bit we went back and had desserts. Tiramisus, several cakes, some with fruit, cream tortes, even cookies and coffee, tea, juice.
No, we didn't eat again that evening.
My friend, former colleague, fellow traveller is pictured by a "big" Emmentaler cheese in a Swiss grocery store.
By the by, she has discovered Black Forest Cherry Torte, which we tried at several locations. So yummy, and so rich.





No comments: