Thursday, June 7, 2007

Stone age dwelling

In the 1930's an archaeologist recreated a piled village in the waters of Lake Constance. Pieces and parts had been found in the lake, so as archaeologists will do, and they have the funds, a village was recreated.
I had seen this as a fifth grader and it had made a deep impression on me. Since I set the agenda on my recent trip, I thought perhaps it would be a welcome change from the baroque churches and castles of Bavaria.
Needless to say most of the houses had to be replaced, but one of the originals is there, covered with thick moss, no longer save to enter.
Our docent was very knowledgeable, somewhat geeky with his pink scrunchy holding his ponytail askew. It was explained why people even lived over the water, social mores of those times, day to day survival. All based on those finds in the water.
And along comes a television crew! Throw in a couple of families, some single men all willing to wear skins and lead the simple life. Well, maybe not the kids, but what choice did they have? They were to live off the land and lake. Some of the single men were to cross the lake in a dugout, and hike over the Alps into Italy, assuming it was done then as well. I did catch episode two of three on television while there. The kids were brats, the parents counted to three, (I hate that anyway) to get them to help, they didn't. I think then someone would have smacked them and they would have hopped to it. Anyway, the men floundered, pun intended, crossing the lake and needed to rethink their strategy. Rescued by the film crew. Manor House and Survivor all rolled into one. I would have watched the conclusion had I been there.

Looking at the place again with adult eyes makes me realize that someday someone will examine our remnants and wonder at our primitive lives.

There are some good links to Unteruhldingen, but I've not learned to make links yet, maybe next week.

1 comment:

Ray said...

Links are easy. Remind me and I'll show you again how to do it.