Friday, June 8, 2007

Home revisited

I was watching Suzanne's youngster today, while she, Suzanne, had to be away. So instead of playing all day, I lined up some things I wanted to get done and had her go along.
  1. disposing of E-Waste=environmental awareness
  2. donation for the thrift store=helping others, not filling the dump
  3. showing her the WW2 cell block for German POWs= don't break the law(OK, a stretch)
  4. letting her chase blue bellied lizards=stay on the path, this is rattler country
When asked if she wanted to see where Suzanne had lived at her age, she was game. If someone lives there can we ring the doorbell and see inside? Can we go inside if no one live there? (I have no key.)
I didn't think of the third option: What if no one lives there and the door is not locked? While peeking through the mail slot, the door opened and we went in and explored. What fun to reenter a house from which I moved thirty-four years ago. I can still envision the place, with our luggage ready to go, when we left for the last time, not much different from re-entering today, sans luggage, and dustier now. Cupboards and tile are so dated looking, the hardwood floors are still beautiful. The windows are still single pane glass, and the walls were poorly insulated. None of that mattered today. The view is still over miles of California grass land, there is still a big boulder fifty feet down the slope, far enough away for thinking on you own.
I loved living in that house, there are such neat angles in it. I took some photos, but how interesting are bare walls and empty halls?
Back at the house the youngster wanted to hear stories of things that happened then. I had a hard time thinking of any that would be pertinent.
Most of the houses of that vintage have been demolished, my guess is that this group is doomed as well. I'm glad I saw it again before that day comes.




No comments: