Saturday, July 7, 2007

Bad Wildbad, Spa town Extraordinaire


More pictures of our travels! I rode on this mountain train once before. I was less than ten years old then.
This is how it works. There are two trolleys, one one each end of a cable. They pull each other up, there is only a break system, no engine. Halfway up there is a stretch where the track doubles and then becomes single again. To keep the riders level, the cars are built on an angle. One enters into a compartment, there is no way to go up or down within the trolley car. Pretty cool system, still working after many years.

Above the old spa town of Bad Wildbad, in the Black Forest, are wonderful hiking trails. Some lead to the moors which I remember from my first visit. But we didn't walk that far on this, for Germany, hot day.

We came across a chair lift for bikers. Works somewhat like a ski lift, no seat, however. Suspended on this cable is a hook, somewhat like an upside down "T" that is hooked under the thighs of the cyclist and up the hill he rides.

After all the walking we did on this day, we were rewarded with a stop at a hill top cafe and we ate more Black Forest Cherry Torte. Of course!

2 comments:

Ray said...

I think I remember this from The Amazing Race. It was cool then, it's cool now. I didn't know it had no engine. That's really cool.

Heide said...

I did not see the earlier season of that show, so I missed the little outing on the show.