Sunday, July 8, 2007

Gardening is for the Birds

This is the first time in all my years as a gardener that I've had success with these flowers. I know them as Crocosmia. I'd tried to grow them before, either there wasn't the correct soil, they became bug bothered, I didn't water enough, too much, in other words, they went away.

Last year Suzanne gave me a bag of bulbs which I planted in an untried spot. They grew to about thirty inches and produced a few sparse flowers. I chalked it up to my previous failures and let them be. The soil is good there, watered regularly, fertilized too, and look what happened the second year. They grew to about four feet tall, with a profusion of blossoms, which have lasted more than a month. They are petering out now, but still there is plenty to attract the hummingbirds. It's a feeding station at its best. The birds don't seem to mind when I sit nearby and observe them, they keep on coming.

So, if you want hummingbirds in the summer, plant these.

1 comment:

Ray said...

It really is a hummingbird magnet. Stand relatively still within five feet and you can expect to be buzzed.